Throughout the years

Throughout the years
"DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!"

6/30/2013

Throwback #8 - Grudge Match (Kenpachi vs. Maki)

Exclusive fight in Bleach, Maki Ichinose once served under the 11th division up until Kenpachi Zaraki killed his previous captain. Now this is non-canon whatsoever because the previous 11th division captain, Kiganjo Kenpachi, was said to be a lazy captain and easily was defeated by Zaraki. However, in the Bount Arc, Maki Ichinose said that his captain was loyal, kind, and dutiful - does Kiganjo fit that description? Now it is said that he did serve under Kiganjo despite the fact that Kiganjo is Canon to the story arc and Maki is only Anime-exclusive character (Bleach Wiki). He bears a strong grudge against Kenpachi Zaraki for killing his previous captain. He joined Jin Kariya and the rest of the Bounts in order to destroy the Soul Society. Now this is one of the earlier episodes of the Bleach filler arc (Bount arc), so I consider it a throwback. This marks Kenpachi's 2nd fight with someone in his division (the other being Ikkaku) and I firmly believe out of all the fights that Kenpachi has had, this is by far the weakest.

I'm not gonna lie, Maki's Zanpaktou abilities were unique in some aspects (with the light and all), but weren't able to even become much of a threat for Kenpachi. I mean Kenpachi fights are epic, bloody, and a good time to watch (Ex: Kenpachi vs Ichigo). This battle, I thought, Maki was gonna lose the entire time, but the audience is firmly rooted into believing he could pose a threat to Kenpachi. I mean you can cut him multiple times, but if he's standing - then that's just how badass Kenpachi is and how much a person's sword isn't doing much in terms of damage. I don't hate Maki at all, I just didn't find his fight against Kenpachi all that entertaining. Some may argue or disagree, but I stand by my word. And it didn't help the fact that Kenpachi didn't kill Maki (although it looked like he did), but Jin, Maki's own master, killed him. Kenpachi at the utmost respect in Maki's abilities at the end and even gave him a speech, something that Maki couldn't see Zaraki doing. A cold-blooded killer gives a speech on how to live and foster one's life as a Shinigami - that's unheard of. Maki mustered all the strength he had and as you guessed it, lost to Kenpachi. In the end, they had their grudge match, decisive winner and all, and Maki was killed by Jin Kariya. Its a filler arc episode, but nonetheless, I will stand by and say it is the weakest Kenpachi Zaraki fight (that excludes the 1 sec match with Giriko).

Now that I went on about that, I may reconsider looking back at the Bount arc and re-watching it, but it still won't change my opinion on the fight. I didn't elaborate much on Maki's abilities because I honestly didn't feel like going in depth on that, but I still stand by when I said his abilities are unique. I wasn't a big fan of the Bount arc, but that won't stop me from re-watching it again. After all, it's Bleach and with any Bleach moment, there's always a hint of badassery - even in filler Arcs. Til then, stay classy folks. Look forward to this week's brand new segments on Tuesday, Thursday, & Saturday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment